Montana Women's Groups Support Bullock; Blast Gianforte for Standing Against Freedom
Two women's health groups in Montana have announced their support for Steve Bullock. Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana and NARAL Pro-choice Montana both praised Steve's record of protecting health care choices for all Montanans, while blasting New Jersey multimillionaire Greg Gianforte for supporting groups that want to put government in control of women's health care decisions.
Here is what they had to say:
Martha Stahl, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana:
"Greg Gianforte has a history of funding groups that give women false and misleading medical information and puts their health and ability to make personal medical decisions at risk. Meanwhile, he has refused to answer the question of whether or not the preventive, critical, and life-saving care offered at Planned Parenthood health centers should be funded. Montanans deserve a governor like Steve Bullock, who has a long record of protecting access to reproductive and sexual health care for all Montanans."
Alison James, NARAL Pro-Choice Montana:
"Governor Bullock trusts Montana women and their decisions. He knows that women's healthcare, including abortion, should be between a woman, her family, and her doctor. Greg Gianforte can blow millions of his own dollars trying to get the job, but he doesn't get to buy the right to make decisions for women or violate Montana families' constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy."
Gianforte's dangerous record on women's health was slammed by both NARAL Pro-Choice Montana and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana:
- Gianforte has given over $2 million to anti-choice organizations that lobby against women making their own health care choices. (Gianforte Family Charitable Trust, via Guidestar)
- Gianforte said he would push for anti-choice legislation while touting the endorsement from an out-of-state, anti-choice group. (Susan B. Anthony list, accessed 8/11/16)
- Gianforte backed Montana Family Foundation fought to outlaw choice even in cases of rape. (HB 574, Montana Family Foundation lobbying disclosure, 5/27/11)
- Gianforte gave thousands of dollars to the Family Research Council, which opposes abortions with no exceptions. (IRS, Guidestar 990s forms, accessed 5/6/15; CNN, 8/20/12)
- Between 2004 and 2014, Gianforte gave nearly $700,000 to anti-choice, crisis pregnancy centers that have been criticized for giving false information to limit women’s choices. (Gianforte Family Charitable Trust, via Guidestar; NARAL Pro-Choice Montana Foundation, 2013 Investigative Report)