Montana Democrats' Statement on Passage of the Senate Tax Scam
Helena—Today, Montana Democratic Party Executive Director Nancy Keenan released the following statement regarding Steve Daines' vote to pass the Senate's tax proposal:
"It is nothing short of a disgrace that multimillionaires Greg Gianforte and Steve Daines have now both voted to cut their own taxes by raising taxes on working Montanans, exploding the deficit, and slashing billions from Medicare. By supporting this tax scam, Gianforte and Daines proved what Montanans have known for a long time: that they will put their own bank accounts and the fortunes of the super-rich before the health and prosperity of Montana families."
The Senate's tax bill was finished hours before a final vote was taken, and it would:
- Increase the deficit by $1.4 trillion;
- Raise marketplace health care premiums by $2,100 and kick 46,000 Montanans off their insurance;
- Cut Medicare by $25 billion;
- Increase taxes on 101,100 Montana households;
- Give the top 3% wealthiest Montanans more than $386 million in tax cuts;
- Blow a $30 million hole in Montana's state budget;
- Nationally, increase taxes on 50% of Americans.