Gianforte to D.C. special interests: Will you be my Valentine?
In 2004, Greg Gianforte formed the Gianforte Family Foundation where he gave millions of dollars to D.C. based special interest groups and other organizations that have pushed for policies that counter Montana values including working to sell off public lands, privatize Social Security and restrict women's health care decisions.
Here is just a snapshot of the groups he’s given to over the years:
Lobbied to sell off public lands
- $8,000 to the Heritage Foundation that has advocated selling off public lands across the West.
- $1,500 to Americans for Prosperity that lobbied to transfer federal lands to the state.
- $27,500 to FREE (Foundation for Research on Economics & the Environment” that has advocated for the privatization of our public lands.
Advocated Anti-Choice Policies
- $2 million to anti-choice organizations including the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family that lobby against women making their own health care choices.
- $700,000 to anti-choice pregnancy centers that have been criticized for giving false information to limit women’s choices
- Gianforte said he would push for anti-choice legislation while touting the endorsement from the D.C. based anti-choice group, the Susan B. Anthony list. (Susan B. Anthony list, accessed 8/11/16)
Worked to privatize Social Security
- $2,500 to the Washington Policy Center that advocated privatizing Social Security.
- $1,500 to Americans for Prosperity that called for raising the Social Security eligibility age and set up private retirement accounts.
- $8,000 to the Heritage Foundation that wanted to end spousal benefits in Social Security and raise the eligibility age.