Gianforte Finally Answers 2016 Debate Question with Vote Today to Gut Women’s Health
Helena – Back in October, during a debate for his failed campaign for Governor, Congressman Greg Gianforte was asked twice by MTN’s Mike Dennison whether he supported restricting women’s access to abortion or rejecting Title X Family Planning funding. Gianforte refused to answer each time.
Well, today, Gianforte finally answered Dennison’s questions when he voted for a government spending bill that not only prohibits funding to Planned Parenthood, but also eliminates funding for the Title X Family Planning Program.
“Today, Greg Gianforte voted with his party bosses in Washington to severely restrict the ability of Montana women to make their own health care decisions,” said Nancy Keenan, Executive Director of the Montana Democratic Party.“He didn’t want to admit it back in October, but today’s vote only confirms what Montanans already knew: Greg Gianforte’s extreme record on women’s health is dangerous and out of touch with our Montana values.”
There are 25 Title X Family Planning Clinics in Montana that provide a range of health, family planning, counseling, and education services.
Gianforte's long and extreme record on women's health has been slammed by both NARAL Pro-Choice Montana and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana:
- Gianforte has given over $2 million to anti-choice organizations that lobby against women making their own health care choices. (Gianforte Family Charitable Trust, via Guidestar)
- Gianforte said he would push for anti-choice legislation while touting the endorsement from an out-of-state, anti-choice group that wants to outlaw choice with no exceptions. (Susan B. Anthony list; Vox, 9/20/16)
- Gianforte backed Montana Family Foundation fought to outlaw choice even in cases of rape. (HB 574, Montana Family Foundation lobbying disclosure, 5/27/11)
- Gianforte gave thousands of dollars to the Family Research Council, which opposes abortions with no exceptions. (IRS, Guidestar 990s forms, accessed 5/6/15; CNN, 8/20/12)
- Between 2004 and 2014, Gianforte gave nearly $700,000 to anti-choice, crisis pregnancy centers that have been criticized for giving false information to limit women’s choices. (Gianforte Family Charitable Trust, via Guidestar; NARAL Pro-Choice Montana Foundation, 2013 Investigative Report)
Today’s government spending bill also reduces the Land and Water Conservation Fund by $125 million compared with Fiscal Year 2017 spending levels. And last week, Gianforte voted against an amendment that would have restored $12 million to the Environmental Protection Agency's Superfund enforcement program from the Bureau of Land Management’s Oil and Gas program. In August, Gianforte toured the Montana Resources office in Butte, telling reporters, “we need to make sure we have funding to clean up the Superfund here in Montana.”