Daines, Gianforte Must Speak Out Against Cruel Health Care Bill
Helena – Today, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released its assessment of the Senate’s disastrous health care bill, which would raise premiums and kick 22 million Americans off their health insurance, while giving a huge tax break to millionaires and billionaires. But even though this plan will likely kick 70,000 Montanans off their health insurance, Montanans continue to wait for Senator Steve Daines and Congressman Greg Gianforte to settle up with them about whether they support this cruel legislation.
“We now know just how devastating the Senate health care bill will be for Montanans,” said Nancy Keenan, Executive Director for the Montana Democratic Party. “Montanans need leadership in Washington that will increase access to quality, affordable health care. If Senator Daines and Congressman Gianforte support legislation that would end the Medicaid expansion, tax seniors, and drive up premiums while giving tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires, they should at least have the courage to explain why. Their silence speaks louder than words.”
Today’s CBO analysis illustrates the full extent of the Senate health care bill’s cruelty. The legislation would:
- Kick 22 million Americans off their health insurance;
- Raise premiums and provide less coverage;
- End the Medicaid expansion, cutting the program by $772 billion compared with current law and reducing coverage for children and disabled, older, and low-income Americans;
- Endanger protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions;
- Impose an Age Tax on older Americans while giving huge tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires; and
- Gut funding for essential health services for women and could leave pregnant women without the guarantee of maternity care.