Congressman Zinke last man standing for Trump
HELENA -- The New York Times reports now that 50 top Republicans have signed a letter saying Donald Trump lacks “the character, values and experience” to be Commander-in-Chief, yet Congressman Ryan Zinke continues to stand by the dangerous Republican presidential candidate.
Last week, Zinke, a former Navy SEAL and war veteran, sidestepped a question from the Havre Daily News about Trump’s comments on the Gold Star Khan family:
"I think it is shameful that it is being used as a political tool on both sides." Zinke said.
And, on a Fox Business interview with Lou Dobbs on Friday:
“Well clearly, united we win, divided we lose. It is that simple.” Zinke said.
But the divide between Trump, Zinke and top national security leaders and Republicans continues to widen. Former CIA and National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden, Robert Blackwell and James Jeffrey, two national security strategists under the George W. Bush administration have all signed the letter which says Trump “would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”
Republicans like Sen. John McCain of Arizona (a war hero), Sen. Mitch McConnell, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and former Montana Gov. Marc Racicot have all distanced themselves from Trump or are unwilling to endorse such a dangerous candidate.
“Congressman Zinke has lost touch with the values that unite us as Montanans and Americans around military service and our national security,” said Nancy Keenan, executive director of the Montana Democratic Party. “Even as members of his own party here in Montana and across the country are running away from Donald Trump, Congressman Zinke has wholeheartedly embraced a divisive Republican candidate whose out-of-touch military views make him a dangerous presidential choice.”